Each year I set my goals on New Year’s Day and keep them in my Happy Planner for that year. I split my goals into different sections of my life that I want to focus on and put my specific goals into each of those sections. Now that it’s 2020 I looked over my goals from last year to see what I achieved over the last year and what I can do in 2020!
Family Goals: 2019
- Supporting my brother through his GCSE’s– I definitely achieved this by helping him revise for his exams and practicing Spanish with him which was something I did for GCSE as well. It was actually a nice way for us to spend time together and surprisingly we had a lot of fun doing it. He did amazingly well in his exams so I was so proud of him!
- Spend more time with my cousins– Since I knew I would be going to University the following year I really wanted to spend some quality time with my cousins as me being the oldest meant that I have seen them grow up. Last year I was able to pick them up from school for the first time, have sleepovers and have a day trip to London with them and I am so grateful for that time with them.
- Spend more time with my grandparents– Similarly to my cousins I wanted to do the same with my grandparents and I have so many great memories with them the last year where we went on day trips out and had them over on Christmas day and I feel so blessed to have a family that I am so close to and who would do anything for me.
Family Goals: 2020
- Day out with my brother– My brother is one of the people who I am closest to in the whole world and this year I would love to spend time with him just the two of us since I have been at University and it would be lovely to have some quality time with him.
- Family Day Out– Being with my family over the Christmas holidays was so special to me so I would love to have another day this year where we can all go out together and do something fun and spend time with one another as I don’t get to see them as much as I used to.
- Pick my cousins up from school– I had so much fun picking my cousins up from school last year that I would love to do it again and let them know I am always there for them.
Career/Education Goals: 2019
- Prepare for Law School- Last year I prepared for starting University by doing some reading beforehand about the Law topics that I would be studying which I found really interesting and I also ended up doing a summer course on criminal and family law which I really enjoyed and made me realise how passionate I am about this area.
- Apply for University Accommodation- I knew I needed to fill out my application for University housing early on in order to get my top choice of accommodation so I did this early on last year as soon as I got the chance which was fantastic as I ended up with my top choice!
- Finish working in childcare- I had a job in childcare on my year out and I absolutely loved it and I loved the people that I worked with there. It was so hard leaving them and I miss them to this day but I knew that going to University was the right decision for me.
Career/Education Goals: 2020
- Aim to get a 2.1 at the end of my first year– Doing a joint honours degree is hard when you have to split your time between subjects, especially ones that are so time consuming like Sociology and Law but I would love to aim to achieve a 2.1 at the end of my first year at Uni as it would set me up well for the rest of my degree.
- Law Work Experience– Since Law is such a competitive field to get into I would really like to get some work experience this year to help me make some contacts in that field.
- Pass all my summer exams– I am going to have a lot of revision to do for my summer exams at University and so I am really aiming to put the work in and do well in them this year.
- Go indoor skydiving– I had always wanted to do this and it was so much fun when I went with my brother. It was actually harder than I thought it would be as there was a fair amount of technique involved but I would definitely love to do it again!
- Visit 4 new places– Since it was my gap year, I set my travels goals high and luckily enough I achieved them! In 2019 the 4 new places I visited were Iceland, Greece, Malaga and Thailand and all of them were stunning in their own way.
- Go on a family holiday– My family, myself and my boyfriend all went to Florida together on a holiday that was honestly one of my best memories of my whole life, we had such a fun time and I will treasure those memories forever.
- Do another hotel stay with my boyfriend– Last year our hotel stay was so much fun I would love to do another spa break again with my boyfriend.
- Visit a theme park- I haven’t been to a theme park in a really long time and I absolutely love rollercoasters so this summer it would be so fun to have a day out to somewhere like Alton Towers or Thorpe Park.
- Go circling– At Uni, circling is quite a regular event where drinking games are played before going to a club and whilst I have been clubbing I have not been circling beforehand so I would like to go before the end of this year, especially to one of the themed weeks where you dress up!
Self Care Goals: 2019
- Go on a spa day- I went on a spa weekend to Norfolk with my boyfriend which was so relaxing last year and it was something I was so glad that I got to do.
- Eat healthier– I definitely ate healthier last year and I actually signed up for a meal prep service that really changed my diet and I found it so useful to learn how to eat healthier.
- Have a skin treatment- Whilst abroad, I had a skin care facial treatment for an hour and my skin had never looked better, it was amazing and I would love to have another one ever since then.
Self care Goals: 2020
- Try a hair mask– I want to get a regular hair care routine going this year and I have some really interesting products that I am so excited to try!
- Change my diet– I have been experiencing a lot of bloating in my stomach and I am currently trying to work out what it is that effects it so much so this year I want to work out what foods I am the most sensitive to.
- Try colon hydrotherapy– With my stomach bloating being so severe I have read a lot about colon hydrotherapy helping to relieve this and I am so intrigued to just try it, even if it’s only once!
Health Goals: 2019
- Try the 5:2 diet– I was able to try this diet and it’s always been something that intrigued me which was why I wanted to try it in the first place. It did actually help me lose some weight and I found it useful for a quick fix but not something that was sustainable and I much prefer eating as healthy as I can on a regular basis and treating myself when I feel like it because it’s just a much healthier balance for me.
- Run 10k– I reached my goal of being able to run a 10k although towards the end of last year I got out of the habit of running so I hope to be able to get back into it again this year.
- Positive thinking– I have definitely improved my thinking and been so much more positive last year which has been a massive learning curve for me and I hope to keep it up!
Health Goals: 2020
- Take up yoga regularly again– I used to do about 2 hours of yoga every week and it really improved my core strength and helped me to relax so I would like to start doing that again and find somewhere to do it at University.
- Learn new healthy recipes– I want to eat healthier this year and try and experiment with my cooking a bit more and find some new recipes.
- Get back into a routine– I want to get back into more of a routine as Christmas did change my routine a lot and I am definitely needing to get back into fitness again!
Friendship Goals: 2019
- Make new friends at University– This was such a daunting idea at first but I have found a truly lovely group of friends at University and so even though at the start I didn’t feel as though I would click with anyone, that hasn’t been the case and I feel so settled in after my first term now.
- Visit Durham University– One of my best friends is studying at Durham and so it was my goal to go and stay with her and see the city! We had a lovely weekend and I am so glad I got to visit her new home!
- Visit University of Nottingham– This is the same as before, as my other best friend is studying at Nottingham and I had such a fun weekend with her as well with a great night out there too!
Friendship Goals: 2020
- Day out with long term friends– Two of my longest friends are at University in different places around the country and we are all quite far away from each other so when I get to go home and see them I really value the time we have together and I hope that we can have a fun day out to catch up!
- Uni friends to visit– I would love to have my new friends visit my home town this year and hopefully visit theirs too as none of us have ever been to where each other lives before!
- Reconnect with an old friend– I haven’t seen one of my closest friends in a long time which is such a shame, especially as our University holidays don’t always align so this year I would love to be able to reconnect with him again.
Relationship Goals: 2019
- Celebrate our 3 year anniversary– This was a lovely milestone for me and it was great to reflect about the time I have had with my boyfriend and I feel so blessed to have him in my life.
- Have my boyfriend visit my Uni– I really wanted my boyfriend to be able to visit my Uni as it is 3 hours from home so I just wanted to show him around and he ended up really liking it too which was good! It was nice to be able to share another part of my life with him and I am glad we have such a supportive relationship of each other and what we want to achieve in our lives.
- Weekend away– As I mentioned before, my boyfriend and I had a weekend away in Norfolk which was truly lovely and we got to visit Cromer and spend time on the beach last summer and it was a great trip that I am glad I got to share with him.
Relationship Goals: 2020
- Celebrate 4 years with my boyfriend– This will be a nice milestone to reach and means a lot to the both of us.
- Try a new date– I would love to go on a date completely different to anything we’ve done together before just to experience something new with one another!
- Go for drinks out– There’s been lots of new bars opening near where I live when I’m at home so I would love to go out one night with my boyfriend and try one out.
What are your goals for 2020?
Thanks for reading about my goals for the year. I hope everyone has an amazing 2020! XOX